Usually when I’m on call, I don’t get much work done because I don’t like starting something knowing that I could have to drop everything and head into work. Which is why I shocked myself by actually being productive this weekend!
Before we got a foot of snow, we had a rare winter 60° day so I pulled the cars out of the garage and started spray painting:
These are the last of the boards that need painting!!!
Once I gave up on hand painting the boards (even after adding the max amount, and then some, of Floetrol, my paint wasn’t getting any more usable) and just sprayed them, things went a lot faster and the boards that were spray primed and painted were far less streaky. I did have to touch up a few boards this weekend, but since winter temperatures are finally here (and spray painting in the house is a terrible idea. I’m speaking theoretically, of course…), I tossed those blue drapes over the cars, laid the boards on the cars’ hoods and sprayed them in the garage. :) I tried to be as stealthy as possible (which is why there is no pictorial evidence), but my husband found out and was less than thrilled… oops!
But the boards got done and moved to my basement work space (aka, the downstairs living room):
This weekend I clear coated all the boards and even started assembling them! I used Varathane Water-Based Polyurethane in Satin, which I had used a few years back on a media shelf I built and really liked it, but I don’t know if I got a bad batch or if they changed their formulation, because this can dried super-fast and got foggy if I brushed over it more than twice. It took a while for me to get the hang of how to make the boards look good- especially the wide ones. Some turned out better than others, but they are all officially done!!!
It’s about halfway assembled now (I took before pictures so I’d know where the boards went, but there are 4 different lengths of screws and I didn’t catalogue those so it’s taking a while- I don’t want to accidentally put a screw through the front of a board or crack anything by drilling too deep), but tomorrow, after work, I will finish assembling it! And then, only a little over a month after starting it, this table will be done!!!